St. George's Episcopal Church
In 1714 land is given by John Jaquette for St. Georges Church in Churchtown (north of Pennsville). A log church was built and the first services were conducted in Swedish. The consecration of the church took place on March 31, 1717.
For almost 300 years, historic St. George's has been an integral part of the community of Pennsville Township. In 1697, a number of Swedes and Finns settled on The New Jersey side of the Delaware River. These colonists were accustomed to attending services in the old church at Transbrook (Wilmington). The journey across the Delaware by canoe and sailboat was hazardous and often impossible. In 1706, the first priest serving St. George's, The Reverend Lars Tollstadius was drowned while crossing the Delaware.
To read a short history written about St. George's by Kim-Eric Williams a Historian of the Swedish Colonial Society click here.